Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Condolence Letter to Family of Colleague/ Coworker who Died

It would be a kind gesture from your side if you write a sympathetic condolence letter to the family of a colleague/coworker who recently passed away.

You have to keep in mind a couple of important things in drafting this letter:

1) Timing (when to post this letter):
   During the first few days after the death, all the family members will be quite busy in arranging for the funeral and will also be in mourning stage. Hence, it would be advisable if you post the letter a few days after the funeral day, not too delayed though, say around 4-5 days after funeral.

2) Wording of the letter:
condolence letter to family of deceased employee
   You have to be very careful what you write in the letter. Of course, you will give your condolences on the tragic death, wherein there is nothing much to worry about the wording. But you should try not to mention anything about his character or what he did wrong, which may be hurtful or insulting to his family. Also try not to mention about any money due from him to you. If there's anything of such matter, please discuss it after a few days.



The following format could be used after suitable modification, if any, needed. The letter doesn't necessarily have to be dated or have a subject line mentioned.

FORMAT

To
(Name of the family member)
(Full postal address)

Dear Mrs. ................,

I am saddened to hear about the sudden death of (Name of the deceased). He was working in the same department of our company where I work. We shared a good friendly relationship. We used to have lunch together every working day without fail. I have many memorable moments shared with him.

I was aware of his illness which had been there for a long time. I was praying to God that someday he will be a cured man. But, alas, God wasn't merciful to him. Anyway, I believe he is at peace now. He was a very hard working guy, we all knew it at our workplace. Once he is determined to do something, he won't rest until the work is finished. I am sure many people will cherish his loving memory even if he has departed us untimely. He will always be remembered by me as long as I live. 



Again, my heartfelt condolences and deepest sympathy to you and your family during this sorrowful time. I will be very glad if I can be of any help to you or your family at any point of time in future. Please do not hesitate to get in touch with me, it would be my privilege to be of help to you.

I pray to the Almighty that may his soul rest in peace and may God give you the strength to overcome this phase of life.

Yours truly,

  (signature)
(Name of the person)

Contact:
(Full Address)
(Phone No. ............)

No comments:

Post a Comment